Cultural-historical complex “Milošev venac” is in the central city area, where, the most important buildings constructed during the period when Kragujevac was the first capital of the modern Serbian state (1818-1841), are located. It is named after Prince Milos Obrenovic who declared it the capital city. The most important sights are located on the both sides of the river Lepenica, which is the biggest river in the valley of Kragujevac, about a 48km long, whose riverbanks in the city center are connected with old reinforced concrete bridges, first of its kind in Serbia.
The center of the new Serbian capital developed in the shape of ellipse. First public buildings were founded there: the court with residences, the church, the arsenal, the prison house, the barracks, the hospital, First Grammar school, Lyceum, the theatre etc. The court complex is not preserved. The quarters of Milos were destroyed in 1941, during the bombing (back then it was an officer’s home), and much before that, the Quarters of Ljubica had been burned down (The colorful quarters) as well as the military barracks. Today, however, some of the objects built in the period from 1818 till 1841, and in the late 19th and early 20th century, are still preserved.