Monument to fallen soldiers of Sumadija

The monument to fallen soldiers of Sumadija is located in the Small Park, next to the Market. This monument was set in 1932 and it’s the work of the famous sculptor Antun Augustincic. It is built on the cross-shaped base, and on the pedestal, there are four figures cast in bronze, which are dedicated to fallen soldiers in the liberation wars (1804-1918). From the center of the pedestal rises the pillar on the top of which is the statue of a girl holding a crown in her hand, also cast in bronze.

Monumet to Joakim Vujic

The monument is work of Nikola Koka Jankovic, sculptor form Kragujevac. It was unveiled in 1985, regarding the celebration of 150 years since the establishment of the theatre in Kragujevac and in Serbia. Joakim Vujic himself was the first director of the theatre and in that honor the monument was made, to the “father of the Theatre Arts” in Serbia. It is located near First Grammar school and the Theatre.

Monument to Vuk Karadzic

The monument is located on the Students’ square in front of the First Grammar school. It was set in 1987, on the 200th anniversary of birth of Vuk Karadzic. It is work of the sculptor Aleksandar Zarin. Vuk Karadzic was Serbian philologist, reformer of Serbian language, collector of folk songs, writer of the first Serbian dictionary and translator of the New Testimony. He stayed in Kragujevac in several occasions during the period from 1820 till 1841.

Monument to Nikola Tesla

Monument to Nikola Tesla is located in front of the building of today’s Faculty of Engineering Sciences. It’s a work of our most famous sculptor Nikola Koka Janković and it was set in 2010 as part of the celebration of 50 years of Mechanical Engineering Faculty in Kragujevac.

Monument to Topolivac

The monument represents worker- founder, and it was set after the World War Two. It dates from the time of industrial expansion and strong influence of working class in Kragujevac and Serbia. It’s located in front of the entrance to the administrative building of “Zastava”.

Monument to King Aleksandar I Karadjordjevic

It was set in the part of the town called Old workers’ colony, in front of building Sokolana, and on the initiative of the Sokolsko society, people that used to live in that neighborhood and many more citizens of Kragujevac. The author is sculptor Zoran Ilic.

Monument to the first Baton

In honor of birth of Josip Broz Tito, former Yugoslavian president, the baton of youth was organized in 1945, and it started right from Kragujevac. On the place from which it started, this monument was built, in the seventies. The first one to hand over the baton to Tito himself was Nada Stevanovic from Kragujevac. This monument is now one of the rare characteristics of the period of Tito’s time and the only one of its kind in whole ex Yugoslavia. The author is sculptor Matija Vukovic.

Monument to Radomir Putnik

The monument was set on the square with the same name in front of the Court house and it is work of sculptor Nikola Koka Jankovic. It’s dedicated to the great general in World War One, Radomir Putnik, born in Kragujevac. He was a soldier and a general for forty years and he’s considered the founder of modern Serbian army. He finished high school in Kragujevac, and he got his military knowledge and the title in the Artillery school in Belgrade.

Monument to Jovan Ristic 

Jovan Ristic, famous politician, diplomat and historian was born in Kragujevac in 1831. He represented Serbia on the Berlin congress in 1878, during which Serbia achieved its independency. The monument dedicated to him is located on the plateau area of thousands of square meters, nearby lower stone bridge, on Lepenica. It is work of the sculptor from Kragujevac, Zoran Ilic, and it was unveiled in 2004.

Monument “Wounded man”

The monument is without any military or political marks. According to legend, an unknown warrior was able to reach the water, quench his thirst, heal his wounds and save himself on the island. It is located in Veliki Park, as a part of the fountain complex. It was set in 1950 and it is work of sculptor from Kragujevac, Dragan Panic.

Fountain Monument 

It is located in the center of the city, and it is dedicated to fighters against fascism. And so, every year with honorary salvo, May 9th is being celebrated by this monument.

Monument “1300 corporals”

It is located in Sumarice, next to the road to Gornji Milanovac, by which, four troops of the student’s battalion from Skopje, went to join First Serbian army, in the World War One. Those were students lance sergeants, sent to the battlefield in order to restore the moral of the exhausted Serbian army and to replace the killed elders.

Monument “Uspenje”

It was built in 2007. in the very center of the city. It is work of architect Natasa Atanasijevic and sculptor Zoran Ilic, both from Kragujevac. It is 9,5m high and it has a parterre, and on the part with cascades, there are four plates with engraved names of citizens of Kragujevac who lost their lives in wars in the period from 1990 to 1999.

Monument to the first Lyceum in Serbia

It was unveiled on January 27th 2010. on the place where the master Jevrem’s residence was in the 19th century. The Lyceum of Kragujevac, which was the precursor of the University of Belgrade was once in that residence. That was the tribute to the 170 years anniversary of the first celebration of the Saint Sava in the Lyceum in 1840.

Metino brdo (Meta’s hill)

Metino brdo (Meta’s hill) is located at Crni vrh mountain, at the altitude of 250 meters. Between the two World wars, in one part of the hill, Nova kolonija was formed, one of the most beautiful settlements, projected after the best examples of European and American suburbs.
Metino brdo is significant due to the historical events that have occurred on it. The first is related to the „Vučić’s uprising“ in 1842, when the army of Toma Vučić Perišić was stationed in this hill from where they fired on the forces of Prince Mihailo Obrenović.
Radoje Raka Ljutovac from Metino brdo in 1915, from modified Turkish cannon, for the first time in the history of warfare shot down enemy aircraft. Today there is a monument.
At the beginning of World War II on Metino brdo a concentration camp was formed. In memory of the shot prisoners a monument named Talac (Hostage) was erected.

The Bust of Miloje Pavlović

The bust of Miloje Pavlović, the legendary director of the Kragujevac Men’s Grammar School, it’s located in front of the building of the former Teacher Training School, now the Faculty of Sciences. Salonika Front warrior, who survived with his artillery the Albania’s Golgotha and hell of Salonika Front, was shot trying to protect his pupils, on 21 October 1941 in Šumarice. He is a holder of the Order of the White Eagle and the Gold Medal of Valor, professor of Serbian language and literature and one of the most respected members of the Sokol Society. Author of the bust is our famous academician Nikola Koka Janković.

The Bust of Dimitrije Davidović 

The Bust of Dimitrije Davidović was placed in 2018 in the gateway of the Old Church. The bust was made in 2006 by academic sculptor Milenko Mandic. Dimitrije Davidović was a diplomat, historian, journalist and publicist. As the first person with Miloš Obrenović he was remembered as the initiator of the Serbian Newspapers, and he crowned his career by writing the Constitution of Sretenje.

The Bust of Jozef Schlesinger 

The Bust of Jozef Schlesinger was erected in 2018 in front of the Music School “Dr Miloje Pavlović”. The bust was made in 2006, and is the work of academic sculptor Dragan Nikolić. Jozef Schlesinger was a music teacher, founder and “kapellmeister” of the Princely-Serbian gang in the capital of Kragujevac. He is considered the creator of the musical culture of Kragujevac and Serbia.