Serbian Court Theater

The Serbian Court Theater is situated next to the Grammar School and it is the oldest theater in Serbia. It was founded in 1835, on the initiative of Prince Milos, who asked Joakim Vujic (1772- 1847) to organize it and become the director of Serbian court theatre in 1835/1836.
It was established in the period of national awakening, when the foundations of culture in Serbia were established, and it shared the destiny of Serbian people, keeping up the continuity through various theatrical formations and groups. It was renewed after the World War Two and turned to be the most open cultural institution in the city, spreading its influence around. The stage of this theater gave rise to the pleiad of extremely good artists who marked the history of theater in the country. The theatre, just like grammar school, for almost 100 years used to work in different houses and buildings in the city, and it got its own French style building in 1928. The building was made for the need of Sokolsko society, it has a ground floor and a storey, with two lateral pylons with pyramidal roof domes.

Address: Daničićeva 3
Telephone: +381 34 33 58 23
pozoristetjv@mts.rs
www.joakimvujic.com

Theatre for Children

The theatre for children doesn’t have its own building, but it uses the hall of the Dom Sindikata, mostly on Saturdays and Sundays in the morning. The most famous and important manifestation in organization of this theatre, held every May, is Festival of puppet theatres called “Zlatna iskra”. Many children’s theatres from Serbia and from the world take part in this manifestation.

Address: Trg Slobode 1
Telephone: +381 34 30 00 65
pozoristezadecu@gmail.com
www.pozoristezadecu.com