Amidža’s konak

Amidža’s konak is the only building still perserved from the complex of Miloš’s court, and it’s a part of the National Museum. It was named after the prince’s court administrator, Sima Milosavljević- Paštrmac, called Amidža (Uncle). Amidža’s konak was built in 1818 and it’s a representative of the Balkan – oriental style. Konak has served to accommodate the members of the prince’s guard, as well as for accepting princes from other districts and other prominent visitors during their arrival at the prince in Kragujevac.

Quarters of Prince Mihailo

Quarters of Prince Mihailo were built in 1860 within the old court complex. There’s a rectangular one-storey building in the base, with high ground-floor and attic with European influences. It was built with the influence of Austrian classicism, and it’s modest by ornaments and dimensions. The main facade is more noticeable, with pilasters, wreathes and accented main entrance. It has the status of the monument of great importance since 1979.

Grammar School

It was built in 1887. It is one of the most monumental school buildings in Serbia, from the second half of 19th century. It has a ground- floor and one storey with the base in the shape of the Cyrillic letter “P”. The main facade is specially accented and decorated. Arched doors and windows dominate. On the first storey there are monumental Corinthian columns which give it a specific appearance. The building is involved in the urban life of Kragujevac. It is under state’s protection as a historical monument.

Old Town Hall

It was built in 1859 in the yard of the Old church. It has a rectangular base. It was built from brick and has no decorative ornaments. Over the time it experienced some alterations but it kept its original aspect. The entire building is dominated by the spacious hall in which the parliamentary sessions were being held until 1880.

City Market

It was being built from September 1928 till November 1929. It was a period when the old styles were being kept, but also the new modern ones were being slowly accepted. The building was designed by engineer Djordje Kovaljevski. It was built in neoclassic eclectic style with elements of academism and secession, and the main project and construction frame was in the spirit of modern architecture. It is vaulted with semi rotundas; it has a spacious hall and cellar that served for preserving of milk and dairy products. From the outside is surrounded with plateaus.

The Court House

It is one of the most successful works of the famous architect Nikola Nestorovic. It was built in 1904 in the spirit of Italian Renaissance, with elements of Viennese secession and it represents a striking and impressive architectural piece. It is very representative building, elegantly shaped with series of reliefs and decorative ornaments on its facades. It is one of the most beautiful public buildings in Serbia from the early 20th century. The architecture of the hall is the richest part of the building by its dimensions and height, as well the central branched staircase, marble fence and marble columns on the gallery.

The Regent’s House

On the King Aleksandar I Karadjordjevic Street, across the Cathedral church, there’s a house of Aleksa Obradovic. It is a work of architect from Kragujevac, Andreja Andrejevic. Regent Aleksandar Karadjordjevic lived and worked in it during the World War One, ant that’s why it is known as a Regent’s house. It was built in 1887 in the style of academicism with richly decorated facade. Below the roof cornice there’s a rich frieze with flora and fauna motives, and on the roof cornice there are two sitting human figures holding a coat of arms with initials and the year of construction, and it is the oldest example of implementation of human figure in the architecture of Kragujevac.

“Moscow” block

The building “Moscow”, with a couple of neighboring buildings, gives the secession note to the central part of the town. It was the style of the economic development of Serbia, and that stylishness is recognizable even today. In the early 20th century, a new neighborhood was created in Kragujevac. In the city center, instead of loose ground houses, new buildings rose, built according to European models, under direct influence of Vienna and Pest. They usually have a few floors, with specially decorated street facades, ornate decorative wreaths under the eaves and around the windows.

Administration building of Military tehnician institute

The building is located at the left riverbank of Lepenica, nearby Old church and Old Town Hall. It was built in 1926 by Belgian projects, in Francophile style of the “School of Fine Arts” (Ecole des beaux arts). The main facade is facing the city center, and the laterals are turned towards the factory. This is one- storey building with accented central part and two-piece glass door with metal ornaments. Classicism Ionic pilasters are adorning the front facade and the balcony in front of the manager’s office. The central part is vaulted with the dome on which there is a clock with sculptures.

Sokolana and Old workers’ colony

The industrialization of the city and the development the Military- technician institute, contributed to the construction of the unique industrial “garden resort” called Old workers’ colony. It is unique in whole Serbia. This neighborhood satisfied in every way the needs of workers and their families. From numerous objects built for the needs of workers, what’s preserved today is the home for presentations and gymnastics called Sokolana. On two parallel masts, there’s still a board with the inscription “Workers’ colony of the artillery technician institute”, and decorative two-headed eagle on the top.
Sokolana was built of wood in the style of English 19th century architecture. It’s rectangular, and the facade is divided with pillars which with the steep roof slope make open porches. In the corner there is a wooden staircase that leads to the second floor. On the square in front of the building, there is a monument to King Aleksandar I Karadjordjevic, as well the music pavilion.

New colony

The urban settlement New colony is rated as one of the most beautiful workers’ “garden” settlements. It is situated on the right side of river Lepenica on a pretty steep terrain, which has architecturally well resolved layout of streets and houses, as well as a square and a park in the central part. During the period from 1936 to 1938, around 250 family houses with backyards were built, in five different sizes, and the project of the settlement was made by the best principals of European and American suburbs. Houses are standard; they have high-quality and very stable construction, simple, without any ornaments. The layout of the streets is well adjusted to the terrain, they are rich in greenery and they all lead to the central square and park. The only drawback is a large number of additional objects. The designer was Mihajlo Radovanovic, specialized project planner who studied architecture in Paris.

National Bank

It was built in 1939 by the project of professor Bogdan Nestorovic, in style that later would be defined as postmodernism. The facade composed in classicism style is strict and simple. The building has a flat roof, without ornaments and with large, regularly lined windows. The monumental look is achieved with lateral and front balconies, with colonnade of Ionian pillars which reach the second floor. The whole appearance gives the impression of the influence of Berlin architecture and the financial power of the national institution.

Aerodrom (airport) settlement

It is located in the northern part of the city, where once was an airport, hence the name of the settlement. The expansion of the city and population increase lead to the establishment of concentrated settlements with complete contents (schools, kindergartens, post offices, markets, ambulances, pharmacies…).
The standard construction of residential units was realized in the international style of „modernism“, accepting the principle of American skyscrapers, so the construction is directed, and the needs for living space are solved with multi-storey lamellas in ten blocks. The principle of Le Corbusier called “machine for living” was applied. It includes balconies, green spaces, tree alleys and network of regular streets.

Theological school

The theological school existed in Kragujevac in the time of prince Milos Obrenovic. At the suggestion of Dr Sava Vukovic, second bishop of Sumadija, the school was reopened. The first generation of students was enrolled in 1997 in inadequate conditions in rural community of Grosnica.
The Church of Saint John Chrysostom, the school church, was consecrated in 2001 and it is situated nearby church of St. Sava Serbian. Architecturally conceived as a three-story building, it makes a whole with the church and the basic color is red. The entrance in the middle of the building is accented with precious stone and with white Doric- Corinthian style colonnades in two levels. The roof is semi circularly arched, on the model of the basilicas.

New post office

The building is located in the center of the city and it draws the attention to its appearance. It was built in the modern “high tech” style, which implies the most contemporary achievements and the use of high technology. Glass, stone and steel were used in the construction. These are simple materials but sufficient for the modern appearance. From the outside it looks really impressive, which was accomplished by combining big regularly lined glass surfaces with smooth precious stone. The rationalism is reflected in the functionally used space between the existing buildings. The new building is connected to the old one with a glass gangway. A round corner that transforms into the dome on the top, was used for the entrance. Near the post office, there are buildings of business center “Radnicki”, bank “Intesa”, Takovo” insurance and bank “Credy banka”. They are built in the same style as the post office.

Plaza Center

Shopping center “Plaza Kragujevac” is owned by the leading Israeli company “Plaza Centers Group”. It was opened on March 20th 2012. It covers a total surface of 80.000 square meters, with 700 square meters of parking spaces. It is a unique personification of modern architecture and high technological achievements.