Monastery Blagovestenje Rudnicko
This monastery was founded in the late 14th century, during the rule of prince Lazar, and it was built around 1400. It is situated at the bottom of mountain Rudnik, by the river Srebrnica. The founder is unknown. The original wall paintings were created at the turn of the 14th and 15th century, and the oldest one is “The judgment day”. It was destroyed and rebuilt more than once during centuries, only to be completely restored in 20th century. Karadjordje stayed in it on many occasions, along with Joakim Vujic, Feliks Kanic and many others.
Monastery Blagovestenje Rudnicko
This monastery is located on the east slope of mountain Rudnik, not far away from Stragari. The church dedicated to the Archangel Michel was built in the early 15th century. The founder was a landowner Mihajlo Koncinovic. The Turks destroyed it and burned it several times. It was restored for the first time in 1590, but got its final appearance in 1838, when the bell tower was built. There are two very old living quarters and a boundary wall. Murals no longer exist in the interior of the church- they were there until the 17th century. The first Praviteljstvujuci Soviet led by archpriest Matija Nenadovic held there its first session in 1805, and there’s still a memorial room dedicated to this event.
This monastery was built on the slopes of the mountain Rudnik, not far away from Stragari. From the spacious monastery complex with number of buildings, an old church with narthex, old necropolis and parts of the boundary wall were partially preserved. The church’s dimensions are modest, it has a rectangular base. Inside the church and the narthex, there are remains of two layers of wall paintings from 13th and 14th centuries.
Not far away from Petkovica, there are remains of grand fortification of the medieval town Srebrnica. Despot Stefan held the parliament session in this fort, when he named Djuradj Brankovic as his successor. Most probably, both of these constructions were made at the same time during the rule of King Dragutin in the late 13th century.
It is located 10km west from Kragujevac. The founder is captain Stanisa Markovic Mlatisuma, and the church is dedicated to Saint Nicolas. The monastery was built in 1734, while the mural dates from 1735. However, during one research, traces of an older layer of wall paintings were found in church, so it’s assumed that there was an older church on the same place, founded in the second half of the 16th century. During 18th and 19th century monastery was very important cultural and spiritual center of this part of Serbia.
It was founded by Despot Stefan in the early 15th century, but there are no material traces of that. It was restored in 1872. in the spirit of Moravian architecture. The church couldn’t be statically repaired, so it was demolished and on its place a new one was built. It is dedicated to the Announcement of the Virgin.
In church’s yard hunters built a drinking fountain above which there was engraved portrait of King Milan Obrenovic (1854 – 1901), who was the first honorary president of the Serbian hunting society. Below the portrait there’s an icon of the Virgin. The portrait is work of the sculptor Simeon Roksandic, and the icon of Miljan and Jekaterina Miletic.
Monastery Lipar was founded in the village Donja Sabanta, on the hill with the same name, 10km far from Kragujevac. The monastery church dedicated to the Great Martyr Saint George was built in 1936. on the basis of the old church. Its dimensions are small, it is harmonically built and it has a rectangular base. Lipar is associated with well-known Serbian poet and painter Djura Jaksic.
It is located in the valley of the river Dulenska, near Velike Pcelice. The date of its foundation is not familiar, but the legend says that it was the period of King Dragutin (late 13th and early 14th century). The legend also says that the founders of monasteries Raletinac, Sarinac and Denkovac, were three sisters, Rala, Sara and Dena. They escaped from the Turks in the late 14th century and founded these three monasteries on the place far away from the main roads.
Denkovac was a fortified monastery. It was destroyed and depopulated in the 17th century and the renewal started in 1965. The church is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin and it was built in the spirit of Moravian art school.
It is located on the small plateau above the river Dulenska, near Velike Pcelice. According to the legend, it was founded in the late 14th century, but from the original buildings today there are only vague traces of the foundation. The renewal started in modern days and it still lasts.
It is situated near the village Velike Pcelice and territorially belongs to Rekovac. It’s dedicated to apostles St. Peter and St. Paul. The tradition says that Raletinac was founded as an anchoress of the monastery Denkovac. Today, the monastery Raletinac is independent. The church has a single nave with arched sealing and the narthex is more decorative. The interior of the church is simply decorated.
Photo: Jovan Živanović